In the news
- Kidnappers behead British hostage
Newsday, NY -
BAGHDAD, Iraq -- Fulfilling the worst nightmares of a British family, kidnappers Friday released a video showing their beheading of Kenneth Bigley, a ...
- Family confirms British hostage murdered
ITV.com, UK -
The family of British hostage Ken Bigley has confirmed they have received "absolute proof" he has been murdered by his Iraqi captors. ...
- British GP could go to Donington, say consortium
The Malaysia Star, Malaysia -
LONDON: A consortium seeking to promote the troubled British Formula One Grand Prix says the race could be held at Donington Park if a deal cannot be reached ...
- Officials meet with British
Dallas Morning News (subscription), TX -
LONDON – Stunned US health officials met with British regulators Thursday to discuss the suspension of flu vaccine production that has slashed supplies ...
- British tug making slow progress towing Canadian sub to Scottish ...
National Post, Canada -
The British Defence Ministry said the tug Anglian Prince was towing HMCS Chicoutimi around the northern tip of Ireland at just six kilometres an hour - the ...
The word British has several different uses. See the article on Britain for more details.
- In a geographical context, it usually applies to a person or object from Britain, which usually means the island of Great Britain, or possibly the British Isles collectively.
- In a political context, before the Act of Union 1800, it applies to a person or object from the Kingdom of Great Britain; following that act, it often applies to the United Kingdom. This will certainly be the case when speaking of a person's nationality.
- In an historical context, it refers to a territory or person with allegiance to the British Empire.
- In a linguistic context, it refers to the various forms of the English language known as British English.
- In an ethnological context, it refers to the Brythonic people who once inhabited much of Great Britain, and a person of British descent either resident in the United Kingdom or abroad.